Pre & Post Workout Snacks
One of the most common questions we get asked by new clients is when and what to eat before and after a workout.
When to eat?
Eating 30-90 minutes before a workout either a light meal or a snack is perfect for giving the body the energy it needs. Eating a protein rich meal or snack after a workout is critical for it gives the body the protein it needs to rebuild the muscle fibers. After a workout, the body can feel depleted and in a fog.
Eating food to replenish those glycogen stores and add necessary electrolytes helps the body and mind bounce back. Eat a snack directly after working out and a meal within a few hours. Now that we understand why it is important to eat and when to eat.
What to eat?
When thinking about what to eat before a workout, think about healthy carbs and protein. You will use the carbs for energy during the workout increasing your workout potential. Easy to digest protein before a workout helps the body care for our muscles. Make sure not to eat too much within that 30-90 minute period or you will still be digesting while training.
Our Favorite Pre-Workout Snacks:
- A Small Orange and some slices of chicken or turkey
- Greek Yogurt with peanut butter and berries
- Apple Slices and Almond Butter
- Half a protein shake with blueberries
When grabbing food after a workout it is important that they are protein rich with some quick to digest carbs in order to prevent the drop in blood sugar. If you struggle with soreness we also encourage you to drink BCAAs during the workout and after.
Our Favorite Post-Workout Snacks:
- Ezekiel Bread with peanut butter
- The other half of that protein shake with blueberries
- Tuna and veggies
- Hard boiled egg
- Spinach salad with chicken or turkey, walnuts, and dried cranberries
- During the workout drink BCAAS, mixing them with a natural fruit juice can add vitamin C.
Eat right, workout hard, eat right again, and stay hydrated!